User Logout system advice needed...

Hello,

I need to write some sort of  a user logout system for my web application.
It needs to be a solid system so that if the user presses the Logout button
there's no way of returning to the password protected area without logging
in again. At the moment my "system" only tries to close browser window with
javascript. This doesn't work if the user has more than one tab open in the
browser and in Firefox it doesn't even close the active tab :-)

I use a cookie based session id so this probably needs to be deleted. Is
there a way to delete all variables stored by the application or do I need
to unset them one by one?

Any other things I might be missing here?

Thanks a Lot
-Will