Re: component template questions

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:34, Evert|Rooftop wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working on a component system for php forms and all, and I'm
> wondering about an issue I have. I have a few ideas on how to fix this
> problem, but I would like to hear your oppinions about it.
>
> These are my classes:
>
> Component
> FormElement extends Component
> ComboBox extends FormElement
> InteliComboBox extends ComboBox
>
> The problem is, I want the components to be able to work accross
> different platforms (for example XHTML, WML or XUL) and there should be
> an ability to add new platforms.
> How would you make a template system for this?

I think the different platfoms have to be mapped to different templates for
each class.

Then you just construct the objects taking in mind the platform you need at
the moment.

A simple scenario:

You have an aplication that is used via mobile users (WAP for instance),
regular web users (XHTML), regular users with Mozilla (XUL) - when a user
comes, you detect his platform, take the template for this platform and
construct the object using it. Another client comes with different platform,
you apply a different template, construct the object using it, etc.

Just being abstract enough - don't hardcode such templates in the classes.
Automatic management of the templates will be easy using a RDBMS.

--

Cyberly yours,
Petar Nedyalkov

PGP ID: 7AE45436
PGP Public Key: http://bu.orbitel.bg/pgp/bu.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 7923 8D52 B145 02E8 6F63 8BDA 2D3F 7C0B 7AE4 5436