Re: Re: Hidden File Downloads

This is what I do to "force" excel docs to be downloaded...

Header("Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel");

This tells the browser that it's an Excel file.

Header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=general-data.xls");

This tells Microsoft browsers (who I think made up all the stuff in this line on their own, disregarding existing standards) to handle this file as an "attachment" and to name it "general-data.xls"

Now, I really don't know why their BROWSERS want to use the word
"attachment" (usually used in email) nor what that's supposed to mean,
but...

This will most likely *FAIL* for older non Microsoft browsers,
particularly if the user has some kind of plug-in that allegedly can
"handle" MS Excel files.

If you want to *FORCE* a download, the mime type
"application/octet-stream" *WILL* do that in an HTTP-compliant browser
(all of them).

I found that just using the content type itself wasn't enough...

*WHICH* content type?

Honestly, I don't remember. I did it a couple of years ago and my memory is that the above was the only thing that guaranteed a pop up save dialog. Anything else and it would sometimes download, sometimes display inline, and sometimes open excel depending on the browser.

I wasn't concerned with anything old at the time, so can't comment on that.

Also, it might have something to do with the fact that the file I was downloading was just tab deliminited text not a true excel file with whatever file magic goes along with it...

You're better off, though, to force the URL to end in the filename you
want the user to use, as some browsers will not pay attention to the
"attachment" header.

I definitely agree with you here...

-philip