From: Jochem Maas [mailto:jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 22 April 2005 08:13
To: Richard Davey
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Re: 1 web site, 3 servers, 3 countries - best
practises?

Richard Davey wrote:
> Hello Satyam,
>
> Thursday, April 21, 2005, 5:07:52 PM, you wrote:
>
> S> My domain, satyam.com.ar, though supposedly in Argentina resides in

> S> Spain, where I currently live hundreds of kilometers away from it,
> S> which I mention to point out that domain names do not correlate to
> S> physical locations. Unless there is a political issue regarding who

> S> owns the actual machine and budgeting problems, I would rather keep

> S> just one server farm fed from multiple international locations.
>
> No offense, but that entire post was completely useless with regards
> to my original message.

in a round about way he seems to be asking 'why'? which is not totally
invalid.

> This is nothing to do with domain names, I was simply asking if anyone

> had experience of handling one site spread across multiple remote
> located servers from a PHP/SQL perspective (syncing content, user
> accounts, etc).

I don't have any answers, but maybe some questions might be useful:

do you want/need a master/slave configuration
or true decentralisation and/or two way syncing?

what definition of 'seamless' have you been given?

what kind of content?

sounds like a costly undertaking, not to be taken lightly... I'm
interested to understand the requirement that dictates such server
redundancy. Given the implied cost, planning/implementation should
probably left to a company who already knows the answers to your
questions :-/?

anyway interesting problem you have before you!

> Best regards,
>
> Richard Davey

Gamma Global : Suppliers of HPCompaq, IBM, Acer, EPI, APC, Cyclades, D-Link, Cisco, Sun Microsystems, 3Com

GAMMA GLOBAL (UK) LTD IS A RECOGNISED 'INVESTOR IN PEOPLE' AND AN 'ISO 9001 2000' REGISTERED COMPANY

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This Email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender IMMEDIATELY; you should not
copy the email or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any
other person.

GENERAL STATEMENT:

Any statements made, or intentions expressed in this communication may not
necessarily reflect the view of Gamma Global (UK) Ltd. Be advised that no content
herein may be held binding upon Gamma Global (UK) Ltd or any associated company
unless confirmed by the issuance of a formal contractual document or
Purchase Order,  subject to our Terms and Conditions available from http://www.gammaglobal.com

E&OE