htaccess file

Is there any way that i can see if using htaccess file is enabled on server
without contacting my isp.

I created a htaccess file and ftp'd it to the server with the
register_globals flag set to 0:

this is the htaccess code

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>

order deny,allow

deny from all

allow from all

</Limit>

<Limit PUT DELETE>

order deny,allow

deny from all

</Limit>

AuthUserFile /home/predicta/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd

AuthGroupFile /home/predicta/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

php_flag engine off

AllowOverrid ALL

php_admin_flag register_globals 0

and this is what happens

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying
to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.predictabid.com Port 80

I suppose this means that htaccess use is not enabled?

If this is the case, what else can i use to set register_globals to on?