Re: PEAR Packages

I was a little confused at first, but it's actually REALLY simple.  I was doing manual installations until I discovered that PEAR has made everything way too easy for us.

>From the PEAR manual:

##################
To update your PEAR installation from go-pear.org, request http://go-pear.org/ in your browser and save the output to a local file go-pear.php. You can then run

php go-pear.php
##################
(http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.getting.php)

(Go to that address, copy the text you get into a file called "go-pear.php" then run "php go-pear.php" from the command line)
##################

Next page of the manual talks about how to install packages.  Says you need the latest PEAR package manager (I don't remember installing this.. maybe my PEAR came with it already) then from the command line you can do:

pear remote-list

This gives you a list of packages.

pear install <package>

This automatically downloads and installs the package you want.

Just keep in mind that you need to be specific about the name.  We were installing the Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer package.  You can't just say:

pear install Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer

You have to get the actual filename correct.

In this case, if you look at Excel Writer's page (http://pear.php.net/package/Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer) you'll see it has a version 0.8.  Hover over the 0.8 and you'll see the download filename is "Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer-0.8.tgz", so we used something like:

pear install Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer-0.8

(I don't think we needed to use the .tgz)

Anyway, been a while since I've messed with it, so I might not be 100% on the syntax, but hopefully this'll clarify the process a little more.  We had to stumble through it a little, but once we figured it out, it was WAY too easy.. hah..

Good luck!

-TG