Re: Getting a contract

For larger projects, I always charged a contingency fee, maybe $100-$500, depending on the scope. This money basically pays you to write up a project document. After all, you are spending your valuable time on something for them. If they accept your proposal to write the application, the money goes towards your fee for the project. If decide not to use you, or pick someone else in the meantime, the money is yours. They get to keep the proposal, which they could give to someone else so that they could develop the application, but you at least got paid.

Whatever you do, document everything. Who asked for what change and when, even changes you reject.