Any experience with multi-language PHP sites?

Hi all,

   I was wondering if anyone has any experience with building large
   scale multi-language websites with PHP/MySQL? The plan is to have
   the core site created in English and then translators can login to
   create the various language versions (we'll have 6 languages to
   start with including Japanese). Content will be pure text (no
   HTML), stored in a MySQL 4.1 database with appropriate caching for
   display.

   I'm interested in knowing of any problems I should be looking out
   for while designing this - what happens to Japanese characters for
   example when stored in a MySQL text field? Any issues re:
   displaying them again once extracted? Or on validating foreign
   data input on web forms?

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov