Creating intelligent forms

Hello, all -

I had some questions regarding the creation of "intelligent" forms - forms that take data, and then parse it for errors, "real" data, etc etc.

The first idea I had was to make a function to display the form. When the form is submitted, the page would be called again (i.e. the form's ACTION=itself), and then the POST or GET or SESSION variables will be the arguments to the form. The idea is, when this happens, the form will be able to check the data that was sent, verify it, etc etc. If there are no problems with the data, then the user is directed to step 2 of the form, or the second page, to enter in additional data. But how should the redirection happen?

At that point, am I able to manipulate the headers for a different Location:, that location being the second form to be filled out? Since this would be the first data sent to the BROWSER, I thought that this might work.

I've been toying with both of these ideas with varying success, but haven't quite gotten it figured out. I'm sure that, with due time, I'll be able to figure it out. However, I just want to make sure that this is a "correct" way of writing forms, and if it's normally accepted as a common practice, so I don't waste my time doing something that might not actually work.

Thanks!
-dant