Re: Limiting Cpu usage

On Mon, April 11, 2005 3:25 pm, Greg Donald said:
> On Apr 11, 2005 5:06 PM, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I quit my last job in part because my "dev" server was a "live" box.
>> Sheesh!
>
> I have sooooo been there before.  Sucks.
>
> Vmware, user-mode-linux, and Freebsd jails sometimes help in these
> situations.

It was a Sun box.

vi didn't even work right.  (no arrow keys)

I certainly didn't have the kind of access to install VMWare, or much of
anything.

No CVS/svn

No bug-tracking.
[I didn't even have the ability to create a database to test-drive some
bug-tracking software!]

No real project management.

Design was all screen-based for a complex web application, with NO text
defining functionality, behaviour or exceptions.

Design ended up being too much like a desktop application (by a
well-meaning and very nice grad student who didn't have enough experience
to know better)

I spent three days trying to figure out how to implement a "save current
state of the database so they can cancel N screens of input" and my boss
burst into my office and accused me of not working because I hadn't logged
in to the Sun box those three days when I was researching, reading, and
thinking.  That pretty much put the candle on the cake right there.  I
banged out the code I'd been thinking about the way he wanted it (it was
"wrong", but that's what he wanted) and quit effective immediately.

Oh well.  Maybe this project will take off and I can code only for
recreation :-)
http://acousticdemo.com/
The above link will only be interesting to music-industry people, most
likely.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm