Re: sessions not being stored : DAY 2

On Sat, April 9, 2005 8:25 am, Yuri Huitrón Alvarado said:
> but then what could be causing that the sessions are not being stored in
> /tmp/sess ?

It's POSSIBLE, but very unlikely, that 'whoami' is getting fooled into
printing 'root' and you're not really 'root'

I think I once saw phpinfo() print out 'root' when I knew damn well User
was set to 'www' -- But I think it somehow caught 'root' during the
startup phase of Apache before it forked into the User 'www' and was
displaying an incorrect value.

Even if you *are* (foolishly) running Apache as 'root' the session data
will not get stored in /tmp/sess if those directories do not exist.

Also, I suspect that if, say, 'root' gets prompted on the command line
before over-writing data or violating chmod settings of the owner/group of
a file (or directory) then I would not expect PHP to write to /tmp/sess

I'm not real clear on how/when 'root' user gets prompted with things like
"Override read-only access on xyz" but I've seen it in bash, so whatever
causes that will likely stump PHP.

This really *DOES* boil down to paths/permissions almost for sure.

And whatever you do, do *NOT* run Apache as 'root'!

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm