Regular Expressions?

Windows 2000 Server
IIS 5/Apache 1.3.33
MySQL 4.1.1
Smarty 2.6.9
PHP 5.0.3

Hi all,
I am looking for help handling a form input to SQL. I believe the solution has to do with regular expressions.
My big problem is that when a user submits data such as:

Joe's Crabshack

The ' apostrophe or " can cause an early truncation of the data. My code thinks that the closing identifier is after the word Joe and the rest of the input is lost. Further, if the data does get by and it could possibly break a SQL statement.

Am I right in thinking the solution in this matter is using regular expressions? If so, where is a good resource to polish my skills?

What about turning off/on magic quotes?

John