Re: POST method to php page from php page

Aurélien Cabezon wrote:

Bob Pilly wrote:
| Hello all

Hi,

| Does anyone know if its possible to post data using the http POST method
| to another form using php?
| I know its possible to use:
| header( "Location: somelocation.php?" .SID&somevar=$somevar );
| But this uses the GET method
| any help or pointing me to any relevant documentation would be greatly
| appreciated.

You can use Curl to post datas to a remote script.
http://www.php.net/curl

Regards,
Aurélien
also, I think Bob is a tad confused about what header does exactly. Because header() adds lines to the RESPONSE-header, not the REQUEST-header. The REQUEST header can send its request as a GET/POST/PUT/whatever, while the response header doesn't do anything even remotely like that. Basically, the 'Location'-response-header tells the browser that the file can be found at a different location, so the browser redirects there automatically. This is *not* a GET! Since you've added your query to the URL and browsers, by default, use the GET method of requesting data, the URL the browser will redirect to will be requested with the GET method, so it might seem asif you were using GET to request the page, for the browser, but in truth you don't have anything to day about it.

Now, what Aurélien is talking about, cURL, is the other end of the story. cURL can take on the role of both ends of the line, so it can send either the request, or the response. But, it will not send it to the user('s browser), but instead over a connection that it was told to send it over.

Basically, this means that you can't tell a browser it needs to do a POST request to another page via PHP. There :)

hope that helps you in understanding,
- tul