Displaying Time Intervals

Hi, folks.

I've added some code to our CMS that tracks the exact amount of time
that a user is logged into the system.  I'm going to use these stats to
track how much time someone has spent practicing in the training
environment before I give them access to our production system.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to display intervals of
time?

Basically there are two timestamps - time_in and time_out, and I want to
for each record display the difference between the two in the format of
H:i:s.  I'm pulling the timestamp fields from the database in the format
of number of seconds since the epoch.

Then, cumulatively for each day, I want to display the total time, also
in the format of H:i:s.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this?  I thought of date()
and strftime(), but I don't see how those would accommodate for someone
who spends 30 seconds on the CMS in a single session, since that would
need to be displayed as 00:00:30.

Is there an existing class that provides such functionality, or should I
just write one myself?

Cheers and TIA,

Pablo