Str_replace?

Hey,

I am making a site primary for the Swedish audiance, Swedish alphabets are
pretty much the same as our English ones except for three extras, which are:
(lowercase) åäö (and uppercase) ÅÄÖ

While using dreamweaver to format some of the pages I noticed  that DW
converts those letters to:
å=å
ö=ö
ä=ä

Å=Å
Ö=Ö
Ä=Ä

which displays fine on the html output.

My question is, do you think I should do a str_replace() on all instances of
user input if it matches the above 6 characters before putting it in the
mysql db...or leave it as is?

Just writing åäöÅÄÖ normally in a html file is not giving me any problems
either...but that may because when i installed windows I installed Swedish
and English language packs.....I guess using the codes that dreamweaver uses
would just make it easier for people to read who dont have the language
installed on their system...question is, is it worth the str_replace() price
for a high traffic dating site?

Thanks,
Ryan