RE: cancelling

newbie c <mailto:newbie_st@xxxxxxxx>
    on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:23 PM said:

> The executables are taking the user's input and going to the database
> to grab and cut out the pictures that are corresponding to the user's
> search term.

I can only guess then that these executables could not be replaced by a
regular PHP script?

> I understand the stop button may solve some problems and I am going
> to test this some more.  But there is still the need to stop a user
> from making some huge request then going away for a couple of days. I
> don't want to restrict the requests of a user however how can I stop
> them from monopolizing the server?

I see. In that case a cancel button isn't going to help you (at least,
it won't be a solution). What if the user starts the process, doesn't
press your cancel button, and goes away for a couple of days? You've got
a cancel button but it didn't get pressed.

Since we don't have any details of these "executables" wouldn't the
executable return control back to whatever it was that called it after
it was done processing? I mean, if I put in some search terms in google
and walk away for a few days, google has no idea I've left. Nor do they
even care.

In the same way, your executables shouldn't run continuously without
user intervention. They should know when they are done and should stop.
At that point, "monopolizing the server" becomes a non-issue.

Chris.