Help. Floats turning into really small numbers? x.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxE-xx

I'm having trouble figuring out why subtraction of two floats are giving
me a very small number.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the
internals of type casting, but i'm not sure.  If anyone has seen this or
can give me some suggestions, please.

I have 2 variables that go through a while loop and are
added/subtracted/ multipled. InvAmt and InvPay are shown as
floats but when they are subtracted, they give me a really small
number

// code
var_dump($InvAmt);
var_dump($InvPay);