Re: Recommendation for a MySql wrapper class

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:08:30PM +0200, Marek Kilimajer wrote......

> >If anybody (with more experience) than I thinks I am wrong...please
> >tell me so and most prolly go with PEARs solution, another one high
> >on my list is the ADODB as I remember someone else talking about it
> >on the list some time back.
>
> You can pack PEAR classes with your project and set up include_path
> accordingly.

Like Ryan (original post), I too am about to embark on a new website
project and have the opportunity to do it differently.  In the past I
did the basic php/mysql connects, etc.  But since reading this post,
have looked into adodb and pear.

Pear looks very interesting and I've given it a go.  I like the looks of
DB_Table, and how it integrates with HTML_QuickForm.  I also like how
pear has the commandline interface to search, install and update.  But
this makes me wonder ... are newer releases of classes always compatible
with pages/scripts that I might have written earlier?  If I update a
class package, might it break my existing pages?  And finally, does the
pear project have enough momentum, and contributors, such that I can
feel comfortable that it will be around for a while?

I guess I'm asking these questions because the whole pear package
repository seems very dynamic (in a good way).  I'm just wondering if it
does make sense to 'pack' up the pear classes, with versions related to
my webpages, rather than assume the classes that get updated will always
work with my stuff.

Kind of a long winded question.  Apologies.

Kevin