Re: filtering uploaded files

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 04:59, Richard Lynch wrote:

> Please reference their publications, if possible.

At hand immediately I have:-

PHP and MySQL Web Development 3rd edition by Luke Welling (Senior Web
Developer at MySQL) and Laura Thomson, published by
www.developers-library.com.

> It's just plain BAD security to trust this value for any real-world usage.

Surely it's part of the toolkit - you can filter out people sending
dangerous stuff if they are not that sophisticated.  I would never want
to rely on one line of defence.

> And it's made meaningless by the browsers not standardizing what they send
> anyway.

It's an interesting point which I will need to investigate further.

Alan