Re: Best Server OS

Phil

Depends on

(a) What you want.
(b) Who you are, and what your background is.

What you want:
If you want stability, then I'd go with Debian Stable. If you want
proactive security then I'd go with OpenBSD. I'm not suggesting that
OpenBSD is less stable than Debian, but I reckon that more people use
Debian. If you want a nice GUI, then go SuSE(with YaST). If you want
someone on the otherside of the phone, then consider RHEL or SLES. If
you're feeling suicidal, then go with Fedora(too 'cutting edge' to be
stable enough for a server) or Windows. All in all, personally I'd
settle for Debian(stability, clean-design/layout, and apt-get) or
OpenBSD(proactive security).

Who you are:
Having that said, all this depends on what your background is. There
is no point in installing a rock solid Operating System, if it's going
to fall by the wayside, because the admin doesn't know how to use it.
If you've used Fedora on the Desktop, then RHEL/CentOS may be a good
choice. Likewise if you've used a Debian based desktop distro, then
Debian may be a good choice. However if you've only ever used Windows,
then I'd definatly recommend going with something with a GUI, and
perhaps suggest SLES(although SuSE have a bad habit of installing
packages in /opt, which makes for an unclean system).

Personally I've used various Linux distros for the last four years.
I'm sufficiently comfortable with the differences in various distros,
to make a personal choice. I've recently got my hands wet with
OpenBSD, although I'm not yet sufficiently familiar with it to use it
for a server, and although most of my experience is with RPM based
distros, on the desktop, I'd definatly go Debian for a server.