Re: Best Server OS

Hello Phil,

On Monday 28 March 2005 22:19, Phil Neeb wrote:
> I'm lookin for some opinions on this one ...
>
> What do you think the best OS is for running a server with PHP and
> MySQL?  If you're going to say Linux, please, which Linux OS, there are
> so many.

i would prefer Gentoo Linux ( http://gentoo.org/ ) because it is very up to
date. There are install scripts (ebuilds) for PHP until 5.0.3 and the
installation makes no problems at all. If you are not much into Linux i would
prefer Fedora Core Linux ( http://fedora.redhat.com/ ), the problem is, that
you must compile much software by hand if you want very new versions and
Fedory is not that freaky then Gentoo. By the way Fedory is very easy to
install and it runs very very stable. If you need a hardcore develpment
plattform read the docs on the Gentoo website and you are on the right way.

Another OS which is very easy to install is FreeBSD. I know a hoster which
runs this system on nearly every Mashine. I don't know much about FreeBSD but
i have installed some day in the past and it wasn't much painfull.

Hope this helps...

Regards
--
# Johannes Findeisen