Re: setcookie issue

John Hinton wrote:
The thing is, on the next action switch

print_r($_COOKIE);

returns empty until I refresh the browser. So, thusly, the second page
load brings in the cookies.

$_COOKIES is a convenient array that contains the contents of the Cookie header, nicely parsed.

Whenever you set a cookie, you're really adding a Set-Cookie header to the response. Thus, the browser has no way of knowing your intent until it receives the response. This data won't be in $_COOKIES until a subsequent request is made in which that cookie is included in the Cookie request header.

This chapter of HTTP Developer's Handbook explains cookies:

http://shiflett.org/books/http-developers-handbook/chapters/11

See Figure 11.3 for an illustration of the exchange I just described.

Hope that helps.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett