fopen problems

Hello all,

I have an install of php on a Red Hat Ent. server that is giving me fits.
I have been trying to use the fopen command to retreive files from external
sites and have been getting this error:

Warning: fopen(http://us3.php.net/images/php.gif): failed to open stream:
HTTP request failed!  in /home/test/public_html/declare.php on line 2

My code is as follows:

<?
 if($handle=fopen("http://us3.php.net/images/php.gif","r";)) {
  echo "\n\nOPENED REMOTE FILE\n\n";
  while (!feof($handle)) {
   $buffer = fgets($handle,4096);
   echo $buffer;
  }
  fclose($handle);
 }
 else
  echo "\n\nFAILED TO OPEN REMOTE FILE\n\n";
?>

My Fopen section of my php.ini file.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Fopen wrappers ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Whether to allow the treatment of URLs (like http:// or ftp://) as files.
allow_url_fopen = On

; Define the anonymous ftp password (your email address)
;from="john@xxxxxxx"

; Define the User-Agent string
; user_agent="PHP"

; Default timeout for socket based streams (seconds)
default_socket_timeout = 60

; If your scripts have to deal with files from Macintosh systems,
; or you are running on a Mac and need to deal with files from
; unix or win32 systems, setting this flag will cause PHP to
; automatically detect the EOL character in those files so that
; fgets() and file() will work regardless of the source of the file.
; auto_detect_line_endings = Off

As I stated before This is on a Red Hat Ent Server that is connected to the
internet behind a SonicWall (300 I believe) firewall appliance.  I am able
to use the fget command to retrieve files from sites that are also behind
said firewall.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

AJ Lemke