Re: Memory use

Joe Wollard wrote:
Greetings,

I'm trying to help a C programmer understand and use PHP for web development. So far all the similarities between C++ and PHP are making the process rather speedy. He asked what seemed like a very simple question, but I couldn't find the answer. The questions is how can you determine how much memory a variable/object/struct/etc are using?

For instance:
$myObject = new myClass();
$myObject->performAction_and_holdResult();

At this point, how can you tell how much memory $myObject is using?

Thanks!
you can't. PHP (the ZE actually) handles all memory related tasks behind the screens, this means you shouldn't have to worry about it. But just "don't worry" doesn't mean it can not be seen.
AFAIK there are functions which give you the total memory used by the script, but I don't think there are any showing the memory used by a structure/variable. (since there's no need for them)