Re: Re: http authentication with safe mode enabled?!

> I have no idea what to do to deal with this. There is only one .htaccess
> file, which is in the top-level directory of my account with my ISP. And
> I've even put

You can always add more .htaccess files in more directories, or edit the
one that's there.

> AuthType None
>
> in there, but it doesn't change anything.
> The fact that the uid of the script is appended to the realm specified
> shouldn't require any changes in the code, or should it?

No.  It would only invalidate any "saved" logins or passwords from the old
realm being managed by the browser.

Different realm == different login/credentials needed.

> I really don't have any more ideas of what to do. What is probably
> important is that apparently my ISP upgraded his version of PHP to
> 4.3.10 which is now CGI instead of a module.

That's your ISP being silly, not PHP 4.3.10 "changing"

That said, HTTP Authentication WILL NOT WORK with CGI.

It is disabled in PHP source because, because your password would be
transmitted insecurely from Apache to PHP, and the PHP Team is not willing
to do that for obvious reasons.

Get your host to go back to PHP as Module, or switch to a form login.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm