OT - C programming

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> Jason Barnett wrote:
>
>> Jay Blanchard wrote:
> In the end you are probably much better off learning a bit of C or C++
> and writing your own PHP extensions than hoping that someone will make a
> compiler that will magically speed everything up.  PHP was designed
> specifically with this in mind.  The idea is to keep things that don't
> better performance than any "PHP Compiler" ever will.  And it really
> isn't that hard to write a PHP extension.
>
> -Rasmus

I actually looked into building my own extension before.  I saw some of
the docs from the talks.php.net site and most of it made sense to me.
So I agree that the PHP <-> extensions interface is simple enough for a
poor slob like myself to understand.

Can you (or anyone else for that matter) give me a book recommendation
that explains C coding to someone with intermediate PHP skills?

I already have George Schlossnagle's book and it's great (it taught me a
lot of what I know about the source), but it assumes a level of
proficiency in C that I just don't have.

I know that you have to allocate memory for variables, you have strict
types (although I'm vaguely familiar with a zval), but some things like
all of those **'s I see in the source code just don't make sense to me.
  Recommendations, anyone?

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html