PHP hangs when exec'ing SSH

Hello,
I've beat on this for a while now, and I'm not seeming to get anywhere. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm attempting to execute some things on remote servers using ssh, using a strictly limited account created for this express purpose. I set up passwordless key authentication from the user the web server runs as to the limited account on the remote server. I wrote some PHP code which calls:
system("ssh user@host mycommand", $result)

If I become the web-server user and run this via php from the command-line, everything works. The commands are executed remotely, and the expected HTML comes to standard-out.

If I run this through apache, I can verify that the authentication happens successfully, and the commands are run, but output to the browser hangs. No errors, nothing. I have attempted using shell_exec, and popen as well- both exhibit the same problems. I can run commands other than ssh without difficulty.

This is happening on suse linux 9.1, PHP 4.3.4. Any clues as to what may be happening?

I'm aware that there is a PECL library for calling SSH functionality, but I really don't want to install more things and create more dependancies for my code when this should be doable with what is already on the system. Efficiency is not a concern in this case, either.

Cheers Ross