Re: Help with dates

Why re-invent the wheel?

It's part of a game. In the RPG there are dates which the players would like
to be able to convert from our calendar to that one, and back again..

In order to do that I need to find the exact days since the year 0

BC/AD.

why is OBC relevant, I read later on that you take the start of egyptian civilization as zero. is that not much earlier.

whats the structure of the egyptian|rpg calendar?

However, the functions php provides only allow up to the unix epoch.

Could you guys give me some pointers on how to accomplish this,
accurately?

Take a look at the MySQL date ranges -- They may have a data type that allows for more than just 1/1/1970 to 3/??/2038

If not, consider using PostgreSQL which has VERY extensive and flexible
date support, for ranges MUCH larger than 0 BC/AD.
http://postgresql.org

I believe PostgreSQL even supports time scales on the order of geological
events and for astronomical purposes, though not with "day" accuracy.

+1 on using a DB to calculate and format dates on this one :-) I'm guessing Kevins probably written an SQL statement before and he's already proved he can RTFPM (P for PHP)

I am assuming that by "accurately" you mean "to the nearest day" since you
spoke of "exact days", right?

Aye.. it's nearest day, and according to calculations should have repeatable
results. So what is date X today should also be it tomorrow (after the
calculations of course). That's what i've noticed so far. when I add a date
and convert it and then convert it back it is a different date.

show us some code :-)

But you didn't define how far into the future you need to go.
Current time?
A few years out?
Stardates from Star Trek?
You have to specify a start date, end date, and accuracy to choose a
correct calendar system.

It's mostly the past. The RPG is set in Egypt and the beginning of the
society in egypt has been taken as year 0. The start date I think is
obvious, but I do not understand an end date of a calendar.. Perhaps I'm
just blond.. but could you perhaps explain that one?

I must be blond, I don't even grok that question :-/

rgds,
jochem