Re: usage of php & <script> tags

Jochem Maas wrote:
> I sure I'm not the only one on this list that reads php-internals
> after reading the thread entitled:
>
> ""
>
> I'm wondering if anyone here has _ever_ used the <script> tags
> to enclose php code? e.g.:
>

> <script language="php">
>
> echo "testing 123";
>
> </script>

Only in talks/presentations, as far as I can recall...

I think it maybe was useful for some REALLY lame HTML editors -- which may
no longer be on the market, at this point...  This is really more of a
"guess" than a "memory".

I can certainly imagine that in those early head days of HTML coding, some
then-popular HTML editor didn't grok the maybe-not-quite-kosher <?php and
<? or even <% tags, and did something "bad" with them. Maybe the HTML spec
allows for *ANY* character, but I could see a lot of folks expecting only
alphanumber, or even only alphabetic, in the HTML syntax, regardless of
the spec.

> or if many were even aware of the possibility?
> IMHO it rather pointless and its should be avoided at all cost,
> but anyway it probably makes someone happy so no harm done :-).

I doubt that it's a whole lot of effort on the part of the PHP parser to
support it, so unless there's a strong reason to deprecate it, leave it
alone.  There are much more important things to work on, I should think.
'Course, I'm not the one doing that work, so there ya go.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm