From: Jason Barnett [mailto:jason.barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:10 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: Undefined Variable Problems...

Please keep responses on the mailing list / newsgroup...

Nick Zukin wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Yes, had to turn register_globals on because it broke things.  Many of
these
> sites aren't mine and I have no idea what's involved in trying to fix them
> all.  If you saw a full 1.2 GB error log (per domain) that built up to
that
> size in less than a month, though, you'd see that it would take a lot of
> re-coding.
>
> Assuming I can fix the pages that break when register_globals turned off,
> how big a deal are the undefined variables?

If you can manage to turn register_globals off that would be the most
important thing.  Undefined variables aren't necessarily bad, but they
can lead to obscure bugs (for example, if a variable is set inside of an
included file instead of a main script where you thought it was unset).