Re: Undefined Variable Problems...

Nick Zukin wrote:

> line 79, if ($forum_admin == 1) {
> line 486, $uname = $cookie[1];
> line 216, $pwd = "$user[2]";
>
> Line 79 is not part of a function or class.  It is the first reference to
> $forum_admin in the script.  The other two are within functions and the
> first call within those functions.  What's being assigned to both of them
> are either in the function call itself or globals.
>
> I do have globals turned on.

you mean register_globals?  Turn it off unless this breaks things in a
major way... even then you should consider recoding if that's feasible.

> Should I worry about any of this?  The pages seem to be working fine?  Is
> this going to slow things down?  Should I just turn off the logging of such
> errors, if I can?

uninitialized variables + register_globals is usually a bad
combination... especially when we're talking about a varaible like
$forum_admin.

http://XXXX.com/forums/post.php?forum_admin=1&user=whoever

In a simple case the above can happen and someone gains admin rights...
in worse cases you end up with SQL code dropping databases...

> Thanks for any help.  My log files are in the gigabytes with 90% of that
> over the last month.

ignoring the E_NOTICE errors is a good idea on a production site anyway.
 That being said... I would try to fix the code so that the notice
doesn't get produced in the first place.

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
STFA | http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&w=2