Opening files....

Hello,
I want to open files in a directory other than the Document root via
HTTP on the client machine. How do i do it ?
For example I have .JPG files in a directory /toallocate on my Server
running FC2, Apache2, Mysql, PHP5. I allocated certain .JPG files to
some users and moved them to a directory called /allocated and logged
the absolute path in a Mysql Table with the user name. Now we know the
username and the files allocated to him and their path. When the user
logs into his account, he should see the file allocated to him and
they should be clickable links so that when he clicks them they open
in the required software. I tried just providing links to their
absolute path but then it doesnt work because Apache looks for them
relative to the Document Root. Please some one help me in this
concern, I will wait for a quick reply.

Also,  Is there a way that I can force the .JPG files to open in a
particular software ?

thanks in advance
Vaibhav Sibal