Re: Passwords?

YaronKh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Rory
  You can use crypt to encode a password, let say you want the password to be "my password", create a new php file :
     echo crypt("my password");

then you get a unique encoded string something like 'ABC12Fdfi654sdfkfpr67UPL'
copy it and delete the php file

in your password validation file write :

$enc_pass = 'ABC12Fdfi654sdfkfpr67UPL';

if (@crypt($_POST['pass'], $enc_pass) == $enc_pass) /* password is o.k. */

I use the same technique to provide a 'superuser' login to intranets/cms - a login which nobody can change/break (+ it works even if lots of stuff is broken because it only relies on a hardcoded string).

personally I use sha1() iso of crypt() - no idea which is better.

that said you still don't want this file or this string to get into the hands of evilhaxors
- best to keep this file (one with the encrypted pwd in it) outside of the docroot.

Now even if someone will see the php script he won't knew your password

Hope I've helped yaron