User rights assignment

Hello

I'am creating a web site for a soccer club with about 30 teams. The idea is
that there are about 20-30 persons who will update the data on the site via
web forms "admin interface".

I have really hard time to figure out how to do the users right assingment.
So far I have user authentication against user name and password in database
and a session id created which is sent as a cookie to browser.

I want to create system that allows a person have rights to update one or
several teams in the club. Maybe someone will have access to all teams. I
have one table with users info and another with the teams info. I was
thinking of a system where, after login, the user is told that he has access
to this and this team and then presented with select form to select the team
he wants to update. Well I can't make the select menu because I have no idea
how store and compare the rights info to team info.

If anyone have any ideas I would be very thankfull. It can be also different
kinda system but the main idea is to keep the number of php files low
(udpating/administering easy) and load data to each update page according
the users rights and selection if he has rights to more than one team. I
have already spent way too much time with this so help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks a Lot
-William