Re: How can I secure database passwords used by PHP webpages

John,

We're a four year college.  Some maintainers are faculty, some are
staff and some are work-study (students) and centrally we have little
say over who can and can't.  We use webdav but people inevitably share
passwords (policies against doing such not withstanding) and that's a
problem we can do little about until after the fact.  Back in the days
of cgi when executables were only allowed in cgi-bin which was
exclusively under the control of the webmaster, passwords could be put
into root-only readable files and read up by apache into it's
environment, but that kind of control is unacceptable today in a
liberal arts college environment.  So the question is, how do we
protect ourselves from folks who misbehave (after all, I do lock my
front door even though in theory I trust my neighbors).

-- Rob

--On Tuesday, March 01, 2005 07:57:31 PM -0500 John Holmes

--
Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager