Re: Authentication fails

John Swartzentruber wrote:
> Somehow my PHP 5.0.3 or something is configured incorrectly. When I try
> to get past an authentication input, nothing happens. For example, I
> have phpMyAdmin configured now to use mysqli, but when I enter the
> username and password, the screen doesn't change. In previous testing, I
> saw that an incorrect authentication was detected and reported, but a
> correct authentication had no affect.

Not sure if this is a phpMyAdmin bug or not, but you might try to clear
out all cookies that your browser has from john.swartzentruber.us.  For
that matter you should see if you *have* any cookie set from
john.swartzenruber.us.  I'm not pointing fingers at phpMyAdmin, but just
tossing out a possible solution.

> My phpinfo() output is at http://john.swartzentruber.us/test.php
>
> For example, I'm trying to use a simple file upload script called "file
> thingie" that is at http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/download.php
>
> I have edited the original file only to decrease the maximum file size
> to 500 bytes and limit uploads to text files. I hope no one here tries
> to be nasty. The user name is "USERNAME2" and the password is "PASSWORD".

Yeah... I wouldn't suggest putting user / pw combos onto the web even if
you intend on changing it later.  You just never know.

> Can anyone check this out and give me some clues or things to look into?
> Is there some setting that would cause _POST data to disappear? How
> would I go about debugging this?

Start by going to the form page's action page (since your test.php page
only displays phpinfo() I'm not sure what this is going to be).  We'll
call this page action.php.

The simplest way to debug this (but it's effective) is to
var_dump($_POST) at the top of action.php.  Insert this at the very top
of the page (likely to cause a lot of errors :) and then gradually cut /
paste that code throughout the action page.  Do this until you narrow
down the problem code.

Since this is a file upload script you are doing you will probably want
to var_dump($_FILES) as well.  Heck, if you're having *session* problems
then you should be looking into the $_SESSION array and (possibly) the
$_COOKIE array.

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html