Improving a MySQL Search

I'm creating a serious of pages that show various aspects from a Syslog
output.

The main information is currently stored in one MySQL table - which after
having been run for about 2 and a bit months has got nearly 1000000 records.
With this amount of information, it's taking a large time to carryout even
the simplest query.

Someone has suggested I look at setting up an archive, for slower searches,
and a more recent table for quicker searching, but I'm reluctant to do this,
as it would take quite a bit of time to copy all the information across as
it stands, and then also to run a cron which transfers between the live and
archive.

Can anyone suggest some quick easy methods for speeding up the search?

Cheers

James