Re: Web Browser Timeout on Upload Script

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:01:18 -0800,  wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running a simple Upload script in PHP using a HTML Form with a File field.  The user can browse their computer and upload a file.  It works great, except for large files, where the browser will timeout.  The timeout appears to happen after about 5 minutes.  Any ideas on how to get around this?

I dont think this is just a PHP problem.
I 've had it with 2 other scripting languages.

AFAIK the client browser timesout rather than the upload application. ie the client's broweser
thinks nothings going on and timesout.

I did read of a nasty fix, where you have a simple frameset where the app is in the main Frame and
there's a tiny "invisible"  frame where a piece of javaScript periodically refreshes or write's a
character to the frame to fool your browser.

I never tried but would like to hear your views

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s%s*%CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne%|:%s)[R-T]) )Ig|:norm G1VGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips