Re: FTP info in a variable

I have to write a little program that pulls information from a database, formats it into csv format for importing into excel and ftps it to another server. I have everything worked out except for the ftping. I have read through http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php and I know I can get the data from the database, save it to a file and ftp it. Does anybody know if I can skip the step of saving it to a file and ftp/stream it directly to a filename on another server?

Steve,
You should be able to skip the step of writing the CSV file out to disk by using PHP's Filsystem functions along with FTP wrappers. I think something like this will work:

$handle = fopen("ftp://user:password@xxxxxxxxxxx/somefile.csv";, "w");
fwrite($handle, $yourCSVdata);

The FTP wrappers allow you to (almost) treat the file as though it were on your local filesystem.

Check the man pages for details on how to do this properly and check for errors:
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.fwrite.php
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/wrappers.ftp.php

- Jamie