FTP info in a variable

----original message----
I have to write a little program that pulls information from a database, formats it into csv format for importing into excel and ftps it to another server. I have everything worked out except for the ftping. I have read through http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php and I know I can get the data from the database, save it to a file and ftp it. Does anybody know if I can skip the step of saving it to a file and ftp/stream it directly to a filename on another server?
----end of original message----

Ok. Looking for something else, I was reminded that "fopen" is what I needed". Since I am uploading a file every night with the same file name. I had to use the ftp options to delete the old file first since I cant use:
$handle = fopen("ftp://user:password@xxxxxxxxxxx/somefile.txt";, "w");
It won't allow for truncating the file to zero length.

My message original message has still not be sent back to me from the list. Hopefully this one will get through and everybody will see that I have solved the problem. I will read other responses if I ever get anymore mail from the list :) . Maybe one of the responses will work even better for me.

Thanks
Steve