link to specific position on page

Hi,
I am building a dynamic thumbnail gallery using php and HTML. All action
occurs in the same document, no frames. When you click a thumb the same page
reloads and shows a larger version of the thumb. Otherwise the page is
identical. I have mainly two problems:

*When the page reloads it scrolls to the same positon as before. I do this
using named anchors(#). But I would rather do it in a more dynamic way so I
don´t need to put anchors on every line of html. Is this possible to achive
somehow?

*Also when the page reloads the upper part of the page flashes by before it
scrolls to position. Is this possible to prevent somehow?

I appreciate any help. Thanks. /Johannes