Von: Dave [mailto:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Februar 2005 18:15
An: php-general
Betreff:  [NEWBIE] Confused about usage of $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']

PHP General,

    The Situation:
    I would like to be able to specify locations of scripts and files
relative to the "root" directory from which my web site is served. I thought
this was what $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] was for.

    The Problem:
    When I use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], it creates a path starting from
somewhere deep down in the server's file structure, below where I even have
authorized access. So if I specify a file like so:
    $imageFile = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/images/image.jpg";
    ... PHP gets lost and doesn't locate it.
    What I am looking for is a variable which will specify the base
directory that my web site is rooted in. In other words, starting from the
same directory that my index.html file is in.

    The Question:
    How do I specify the directory that my web site is situated in, the same
directory where my main index.html file is? Is there a different variable I
should be using, or perhaps some configuration of $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']
that needs to be applied?

    What I've Tried So Far:
    First I went to the on line PHP manual, which is where I found out about
$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] in the first place. Of all the server variables
available, 'DOCUMENT_ROOT' seems to describe what I'm looking for, but
doesn't behave how I would expect.
    A Google search was equally ineffective in educating me in what basic
concept I am missing.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave Gutteridge