Re: FATAL: emalloc()

George Balanos wrote:
> Durring the middle of the day our website stopped woking when I checked
> the
> error logs in Apache I found this error:
>
> FATAL: emalloc() : Unable to allocate 1073741824 bytes

What you have to figure out is why you are trying to allocate a GIGABYTE
of RAM on your homepage.  That's not something you want to be doing.
Ever.

Do you have some kind of RSS feed, blog, or forum on the home page?

Check to see if you have anything in the database where somebody put in a
GIGABYTE in a single field -- like the blog comments field or forum post
or...

> Spammed three times, since then nothing we have tried has worked, played
> with memory_limit and shutting down our gallery.

Gallery?

Go look at the files in your gallery images directory, if you have one --
Perhaps somebody uploaded a GIGABYTE jpeg.

Or, worse, maybe your developer decided to put all your images into the
database itself -- so now you've got a GIGABYTE jpeg crammed into a 'text'
field.  That's not good.

> http://www.precisionstrike.net/phpinfo.php
>
> When going to our site http://www.precisionstrike.net all we see is a
> blank
> page.

But you *DO* manage to send out two (2) cookies before that page loads...

Which at lesat means you can narrow down the problem a tiny bit.

> Researching this problem we found numerous entries about SQL and data
> table
> settings to have them changed from "ntext" We have not done this yet as to
> not make this problem even worse by modifing the SQL database tables.

I don't even know what "ntext" is, but suspect it allows even LARGER jpegs
to be crammed into your database -- which is the exact opposite of what
you want to do.

You want to fix the code so if somebody puts an image over size X in the
gallery, you just don't accept it.  Or you scale it down before you store
it.  Or you do *something* more intelligent than trying to sent a GIGABYTE
image out on your homepage.

> If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. I am a noob at
> this
> as the person who built this server is no longer with us and we are trying
> to put it back together.

You may want to hire a professional developer to fix what that other guy
built... :-v

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm