Secure system calls -- how

Hi list,

I'm doing an intranet website for managing users. I need to be able to
change passwords, move files and folders around and that kind of thing.
What is the best way?

Obviously I can't run the webserver as root. In an earlier version I wrote
update information to a table and had a cronjob scan that. But that
solution is no longer good enough -- I need to call system functions
directly.

I can't find any thorough articles on this subject, but surely someone here
has some ideas or some pointers.

Thanks,
Niels