Re: Question about php.ini

Stephen Wong wrote:
> I'm very new to php.  Here are some basic info about my server that I
> am running:
> Mac OS X 10.3.7
> PHP 4.3.10
> MySQL 4.0.18
> Apache 1.3.33
>
> What I want to do is host a forum on my web page.  I can't seem to get
> it set up, and I notice that I do not have a "php.ini" file in my /etc
> directory (This is the Configuration File Path).  However, I do have a
> "php.ini.default" in the same directory.

You don't HAVE to have a php.ini for PHP to run.  PHP will simply use its
default values if you have no php.ini file for it to load.

And your forum software should not require it, in my opinion, but I
suppose it's theoretically possible that it does.

More likely, it requires specific settings to work, which is also bad.  I
don't *WANT* to change my php.ini on my whole site for their software to
work.

Often you can get around this by using an .htaccess file (just create one)
in the forum directory to set whatever they need.

> I seem to have two options:
> 1.) rename the "php.ini.default" to plain "php.ini" and see if that
> resolves it.  However, I'm not sure what kind of tests can I perform
> to see that it is working properly?

http://php.net/phpinfo
will tell you which php.ini file is loaded (or if none is loaded) and will
tell you everything that is being affected by that file.

If you copy php.ini.default to php.ini, it should be EXACTLY the same as
it is now -- the .default settings match what PHP does if no file is
there.

But, of course, after you copy the file there, you can change it, and then
it will make a difference.

> 2.) or I can follow this tutorial at:
> "http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql/phpini.php"; which teaches me how
> to make my own "php.ini" file.

It's probably better to stick with the php.ini file that came with your
VERSION of PHP.

That might be the php.ini.default you see, or maybe that .default is some
old left-over thing from a previous version...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm