Re: Where's xml in PHP5?

* Thus wrote Brian V Bonini:
> Just compiled PHP5 usign --enable-xml (though I see it is supposed to be
> enabled by defaut however I'm getting 'call to undefined function'
> errors now.

The problem exists in your configure line.

'./configure'
'--enable-versioning'    # most likely dont need this
'--enable-memory-limit'
'--with-layout=GNU'      # most likley dont need this
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr'
'--with-imap=/usr/local'
'--disable-all'          # disables the default install php will use
'--with-regex=php'
'--disable-cli'
'--enable-ctype'         # enabled by default
'--with-gd'
'--enable-gd-native-ttf'
'--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local'
'--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local'
'--with-png-dir=/usr/local'
'--with-mysql=/usr/local'
'--enable-overload'      # shouldn't be used
'--with-pcre-regex=yes'  # enabled by default
'--enable-posix'         # enabled by default
'--enable-session'       # enabled by default
'--enable-tokenizer'
'--with-expat-dir=/usr/local' #shouldn't be used
'--enable-xml'          # enabled by default
'--with-zlib=yes'
'--with-apxs2=/usr/local/www/bin/apxs'
'--prefix=/usr/local'   # default installation path

The key entry is your --disable-all entry, Bypassing the default
installation that php uses. Thus, it will disable your
libxml2 installation which is what php uses for xml. The
--with-expat path is not needed because that is the old xml parser,
php 5 uses libxml2 for the XML functions.

the --enable-overload really isn't necessary unless you have old
php4 scripts that rely on this  extension.

The --with-layout, just decides where to put the extension's
  libdir = $prefix/php
  GNU: $libdir/(no-)debug-(non-)zts/
  PHP: $libdir/extenstions/(no-)debug-(non-)zts/

I'd only mabey recommend using GNU for linux like OS installations.

If this is being installed from a port from freebsd, i would
strongly suggest in contacting the maintainer and letting them know
that it is broken, although, iirc, this is a known issue.

Curt
--
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."