RE: Clear POST variables on page refresh

On 3 Feb 2005 Richard Lynch wrote:

> If it was only two pages, and there was only one header() re-direct, fine.
>
> But what ends up happening is you get in the habit of doing this all over
> the place, and you have a mess of spaghetti logic spread over a hundred
> files.

That is a problem with coding practices, not with the method used.

All you need to do is write a redirect() function used in all pages and
call it instead of header().  Then you have one point to change if you
need to make a change as you describe.  The fact that someone did not
do this does not mean the underlying method is a poor idea.  It just
means they didn't anticipate the need for application-specific code as
part of the redirect operation.

Put another way, it's a common error to fail to build an abstraction
layer for this type of low-level operation, but it doesn't mean using
the low-level operation is a mistake.  The error, if there is one (and
I'd say there is in the scenario you describe) is in not noticing the
need for an abstraction layer.

--
Tom