Re: RE: Problem with SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS

Matt Babineau wrote:
>  Ok I installed PHP 4.3.10 and it still has not fixed the problem. If I
> remove the SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS from the query, it works no problems! This
> is
> very strange behavior!

Not really that strange, I think...

While you might want to read this:
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/faq.databases.php#faq.databases.upgraded

It sounds like your problem is more closely related to this:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16906&edit=1

paying particular attention to this bit:
[1 Oct 2002 4:37am CEST] g at firebolt dot com

I was able to solve this bug by doing the following... granted, the bug
only existed for me once I had a table with > 90000 rows.

Run a:
SET SQL_BIG_TABLES=1;

And MySQL will utilize more memory and be able to save the result set.

Optionally, when done, do this:

SET SQL_BIG_TABLES=0;

(tip courtesy of:
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/9824)

Keep in mind that when you do SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS MySQL has to do a BUNCH
more work and MySQL and PHP have to save a TON of temporary somewhere for
a large table.

So if your tables are large, or if you are doing a JOIN between two
moderate sized tables, it seems quite possible to me that
SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS will trigger a problem with running out of storage
space, when the same query without it won't trigger that problem.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm