best flow for this project

ok, i have a project where:

-a user adds their email address, name, etc to a database.
-a responder sends an email to them to confirm their email address (within 72 hrs).
-upon confirmation of their email address, a script will generate a store coupon with a random coupon id # in the browser (which they can print at that time).

Now I guess my question relates more to the email confirmation. How would you go about this? Store it in a database? Every-time the script is run it also checks to see which requests are more than 72 hrs old and removes their request from the database? And those that are confirmed, a flag is added to the database so they are not removed?

Just looking more for ideas on the script flow to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Dustin