Re: Re: [NEWBIE GUIDE] For the benefit of new members

Rory Browne wrote:
I think sending it to the list every so often, via cron isn't the best
way to handle it. I've read it once, I don't see the point in getting

indeed not the best way but...

it again. Perhaps, is the list admins were willing, it could be set up

considering the ammount of 'admining' done on this list we could be waiting along time for anything to change? compounded when you want to regularly enhance the reminder.

the cron job is pragmatic. as is starting up an unofficial (list-)wiki.
if they flourish then they'll probably be integrated into more official stuff
in php land.

to be sent to all newbies, as part of the subscription process. To
ensure that it is read by all newbies, they'd have to answer certain
questions in the body of the confirmation email? The problem of
newbies not knowing they are newbies, isn't overcome by cron.

lets tell them then ;-)

Any thoughts?

P.S. An addition to the above, a reminder that you have to CC to
php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, for responses to be sent to the list might

+1 for that being in the reminder/refresher.

be a good idea. I've lost count of how many times I've forgotten to do
this, including this time(sorry Jay), and ended up sending it only to
the original sender, instead of to the list, resulting in the original
sender recieving the thing twice.